On Oct 7, 2014 10:03 PM, "Dan Garry" <dga...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Regarding editing specific templates, I'll echo Brion here. If a template
> is causing difficulties for your work and you feel like you know enough to
> fix it, then fix it! That's the wiki way. If you don't have the rights to
> edit the template (e.g. because it's protected), then speak to Tomasz and
> he will try to get you the rights that you need.

Umm, is that really a good idea? Protected templates are protected for a
reason usually (at least on projects that ive worked on. Can't speak for
enwiki). {{Editprotected}} seems like a better option for those, even if
simply for political reasons, and if you find yourself making a lot of such
requests  why not ask the community how it feels about giving out advanced
rights.

Imho, wmf granted advanced rights should be reserved for more serious
issues than purely asethetic ones.

I agree with the setiment of just being bold for unprotected templates.

--bawolff