Hi,

On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 10:44 -0400, MZMcBride wrote:
> Quim Gil wrote:
> >We are about to enter the final sprint to migrate Bugzilla and RT to
> >https://phabricator.wikimedia.org. The move from Trello and Mingle is
> >about to start as well. And well, it is time to plan the migration from
> >Gerrit.
>
> I'm confused by this e-mail. I don't understand why you're seemingly
> switching to a focus on code review when everyone had decided to
> indefinitely put that off. The last time this was discussed, there were
> real concerns that Phabricator couldn't handle code review in the same way
> that Gerrit does and so Gerrit would continue to be used. What has changed?

The stress is on "plan" so I wouldn't call it "switching focus".
The main technical focus remains on finishing the migration from RT and
Bugzilla to Phabricator but that's more executing and less planning as
we are getting closer to that goal.

In order to tackle the bigger issues with code review migration they
need to receive sufficient attention and discussion about the best way
forward.
High level examples: Do we have sufficient expertise in Wikimedia? Who
has this expertise? Do these persons have the time and interest to work
on these issues? What has higher priority compared to other tasks these
persons already have on their lists for the next months?

> I'm concerned about whether bug reporters/filers and people who have CC'd
> themselves on a Bugzilla bug will seamlessly receive future notifications
> from Phabricator. It's very important that the CC field is migrated to
> Phabricator subscribers or equivalent, for example.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/versus_Bugzilla#Bugzilla_data_migrated
states under "CC list" that it will be migrated.

> I also don't think one to four days of Bugzilla downtime is acceptable
> given that Bugzilla is a central development tool. I think maybe one day
> would be okay, but it would ideally be on a Saturday or Sunday then.

We're talking about migrating 75000 Bugzilla tickets to Phabricator
which will take a while. Some actions will require direct database
actions hence some downtime is required.
We know how disruptive it'll be to not have Bugzilla around hence the
plan is to start the migration on a Friday.

> And, even though it should go without saying, Bugzilla will need to remain
> online in a read-only format indefinitely post-migration.

We plan to keep Bugzilla read-only for some time (not sure about
"indefinitely" though) - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T366

Hope that answers some of your concerns.

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler