On the second edit conflict, I read the message at the page top. It says:

Someone else has changed this page since you started editing it. The upper text
area contains the page text as it currently exists. **Your changes are shown in
the lower text area.** You will have to merge your changes into the existing
text. Only the text in the upper text area will be saved when you press "Save
page".

Emphasis added by me.  We all know that people fail to read though.  If we can
come up with a more colorful error message or a more intuitive edit conflict
page layout, I'm all ears.

As to (semi-automatic) conflict resolution, our diff viewer probably has to be
fixed first - any conflict resolution starts with identifying the differences,
and our diff viewer fucks up at smallest possible edits or problems as soon as
an extra line break is involved, i.e.
https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AGryllida&action=historysubmit&diff=218760&oldid=218759
 (Were the first sentence edit and second sentence edits made separately, and
with a conflict, the logic would die (esp. with an extra line break change
involved inbetween)).