On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, at 10:22, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Zack Weinberg wrote:
> >On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Alex Monk <kren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It sounds like the data loss here was purely due to user error, David.
> >
> >Don't blame the victim.
> >
> >> Maybe we could allow saving things to a given subpage of their user page
> >
> >Users/{name}/backup/{pagetitle}/{serial number} ?  That gets rid of
> >the "wipes out what was there already" problem.
>
> I would rather expect an "autosave" feature to use some local storage
> mechanisms

+1 for that. Unfortunately local storage in modern web browsers behaves
unreliably. Yet instead of acknowledging that improvement and standardizing of
the local storage is long overdue, people develop "native" mobile apps. In my
view your post shows where this approach hits a ceiling (as most desktop users
don't have a "easily install an app" culture or even a package manager, such as
the popular windows platform).

--
Svetlana