On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Ryan Lane <rlan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> bjor...@wikimedia.org
> > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Ryan Lane <rlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What you're forgetting is that WMF abandoned MediaWiki as an Open
> Source
> > > project quite a while ago (at least 2 years ago).
> >

> > {{citation needed}}
> >

> There was a WMF engineering meeting where it was announced internally. I
> was the only one that spoke against it. I can't give a citation to it
> because it was never announced outside of WMF, but soon after that third
> party support was moved to a grant funded org, which is the current status
> quo.

So this was never publicly announced and has had no visible effect, to the
point that the latest version of all the code is still publicly available
under a free license and volunteers are still encouraged to contribute?

Or is this conflating "having someone else release tarballs" with
"abandoning MediaWiki as an open source project"? That's an extremely big
stretch.