bjor...@wikimedia.org
> > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Ryan Lane <rlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What you're forgetting is that WMF abandoned MediaWiki as an Open
Source
> > > project quite a while ago (at least 2 years ago).
> >

> > {{citation needed}}
> >

> There was a WMF engineering meeting where it was announced internally. I
> was the only one that spoke against it. I can't give a citation to it
> because it was never announced outside of WMF, but soon after that third
> party support was moved to a grant funded org, which is the current status
> quo.
>
> Don't want to air dirty laundry, but you asked ;).
>
> - Ryan

The mw release whatever its called is hardly at the centre of mediawiki the
open source project. They do regular releases - which is great but that's
essentially all they do (which is fine, that is their function). They arent
handling very much third party support (eg on irc) or doing much in way of
third party dev work or even planning. But yet these things still happen.
When it does happen its usually volunteers but also some wmf staff (perhaps
in a volunteer capacity) who do them.

MediaWiki as an open source project may be in tough times in many ways, but
it is not dead (yet).

--bawolff