On 6/8/15, Dan Garry <dga...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Do you use our search API? If so, I'd like to hear from you!
>
> The Discovery Department
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors#Discovery> at
> the Wikimedia Foundation is tasked with building a path of discovery to
> relevant and trusted knowledge. In line with that, one of our primary
> responsibilities is to ensure that our search APIs are stable, fast, and
> easy to use. We'd love to hear from the people that are using our APIs, so
> we can learn what you love about them, what frustrates you, and what we can
> do to improve them for you.
>
> I'd prefer that you keep the comments about the API itself rather than the
> relevance of the results it returns; I plan to start a separate thread
> about the result relevance, since they're separate topics.
>
> If you have some feedback, please reply in this thread or reach out to me
> privately.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Garry
> Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation

The search api (by which I mean query=search in api.php) is somewhat
poorly documented. You have to dig to find
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:CirrusSearch . I would much prefer
that the relavent documentation was including in the normal api.php
auto-generated help. Even better would be if that api allowed users to
specify the options using normal url parameters, (as a separate
options from using operators in the search string). Its also not
entirely the most clear from the api that the search options differ
depending on which extensions you have installed.

Additionally, from the help page, its not entirely clear about some of
the limitations. e.g. You can't do incategory:Foo OR intitle:bar.
regexes on intitle don't seem to work over the whole title, only word
level tokens (I think, maybe? I'm a bit unclear on how the regex
operator works).

Cheers,
Brian