On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> I have two recurring thoughts about search lately, since you asked.
>
> First, multimedia search is absolutely horrible, basically non-existent.
> If you go to Wikimedia Commons and try its search functionality and then
> compare to any other media service on the Internet, you can quickly come
> up with a list of a dozen features that are missing (search by file size,
> by color, by image file format, etc.).

To really make this awesome we need structured data support for
Commons with Wikidata. We'll be making more progress on it in the
second half of this year but there is a lot to do.

<snip>

> Beyond these two points, it's vitally important that we able to
> arbitrarily query Wikidata soon. I'm hoping this functionality is live on
> Wikimedia wikis by the end of 2015. And speaking to APIs specifically, we
> really need to focus on projects such as Wiktionary and Wikisource that
> are desperately in need of API support to serialize and add structure to
> what is currently very fragile blobs of wikitext markup.

Please give feedback on the latest proposal for Wikidata support for
Wiktionary:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Wiktionary/Development/Proposals/2015-05

Cheers
Lydia