On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:36 PM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To really make this awesome we need structured data support for
>> Commons with Wikidata. We'll be making more progress on it in the
>> second half of this year but there is a lot to do.
>
> Sure, to really make that awsome, yeah you need wikidata. But we are
> far away from hitting the point where we need wikidata. In fact the
> three examples McBride gave don't need wikidata. mime type and file
> size are easily programmaticly available already.

Yeah of course.

> And unless I'm
> mistaken, functionally dependent metadata like algortihmically
> determined main image colour, are out of scope of wikidata.

We've been thinking about this a bit but no decision has been made.
It'd be nice to make these accessible in the same way as other
properties without needing to store and maintain them the same way.
We've been thinking about some kind of fake properties for example.
But we'll worry about that when we get there.
We're getting a bit off-topic. Sorry, Dan.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.