On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:19 AM, Gergo Tisza <gti...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Additionally, from the help page, its not entirely clear about some of
> > the limitations. e.g. You can't do incategory:Foo OR intitle:bar.
> > regexes on intitle don't seem to work over the whole title, only word
> > level tokens (I think, maybe? I'm a bit unclear on how the regex
> > operator works).
> >

> Being able to see a parse tree of the search expression would be nice, like
> with the parse/expandtemplates APIs. That would make it easier to find out
> whether the search fails because the query is parsed differently from what
> you imagined, or because there really is nothing to return.

You can _kindof_ get that now by adding the cirrusDumpQuery url parameter.
But it only dumps the query as sent by Cirrus to Elasticsearch and that
contains a query_string query that Elasticsearch (Lucene really) parses on
its own.

One interesting option would be to make a way for Cirrus to return
Elasticsearch's explain results. Its not perfect because it only explains
why things are found and scored the way they are but it doesn't explain why
things aren't found. Exporting the actual parsed query is more ambitious.

Nik