I also would recommend 2. We had this issue recently with some tweaks
Kaldari made to our main menu.

Given that lightning deploys happen we really should make master stable
always.

If Jenkins is barfing on this there may be other extensions out there which
will also barf. It also makes rolling back a lot easier if things do go
wrong.

It takes a bit more time to do and seems silly but really is the right way
to do this sort of thing. Smaller commits generally are better and I wish
we broke down a lot of our patch sets more (due to code review being slow I
think sometimes we tend to bundle too many things into any given patch).