Hello Brad,

Thank you to have taken the time to elaborate on our IRC conversation
yesterday.

Le 17/06/2015 18:53, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) a écrit :
<snip>
>    1. Merge the core change over Jenkins's objections, then the Flow change
>    can be merged as normal. But overriding Jenkins sucks.
>
>    2. Split the core patch into two parts: part 1 does everything except
>    add the wfDeprecated() call, while part 2 adds just the wfDeprecated() call
>    and will be merged immediately after. The make-work here just to make
>    Jenkins happy sucks and slightly clutters the commit history.

Without the wfDeprecated(), the patch proposed for mediawiki/core is
back compatible and the extensions tests are passing just fine. So the
change is golden and can land.

Then we want to get rid of the old invocation style. One propose a
change that adds the wfDeprecated(). The tests run by
mediawiki-testextensions (a few dozen of extensions) are breaking.  To
have that change land, the extensions needs to be updated to use the new
style.  Since core supports the new change that is possible.

Once all extensions participating in mediawiki-testextensions are
updated, the wfDeprecated() call change pass tests and can land.

With time, more extensions would be added, that would let us keeping
them with mediawiki/core latest code.

>    3. Rewrite the Flow unit test to detect whether core has the core change
>    and alter behavior accordingly. This is even more make-work than option 2
>    when we're otherwise happy to just coordinate the merges.

If we had a core change impacting multiple extensions, that would need a
lot of work and effort.  core keeping back compatibility should be enough.

cheers,

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso