Flow is going to be one of the extensions that the Collaboration team
maintains, along with Echo and Thanks. "Not in active development" means
that we're not going to build or change features, but we're going to fix
bugs and make sure that people who are using Flow have a good experience
with it.

It's a similar situation to Echo, which wasn't in active development for at
least eighteen months, but we fixed bugs and made some changes to connect
it up with Flow. We've recently started doing the prep work for global
cross-wiki Echo notifications, which is another project that we're going to
be working on in October.

We talked about the Workflows project at Wikimania, introducing it as
something that we were going to work on in early 2016. This priority change
basically means that Workflows moves from "3 to 6 months from now" to next
month.

As people have noted, the Foundation spent money developing Flow discussion
features, and we did the work in iterative stages, to make sure that there
was a useable (if incomplete) product at every stage. That gave us the
opportunity to get great feedback and see how people were using Flow, but
it also just provides value on its own. Shifting priorities happens with
product teams all the time, so you always want to be able to get to a
stable place, and still have something worthwhile.

Right now, there are several wikis that are enthusiastic about using Flow,
on user talk pages, help forums and village pump-style discussion pages.
Later this month, we're going to release the opt-in beta feature for wikis
that request it, so that people can turn Flow on for their own user talk
pages, and continue to get value out of the existing product. At that
point, it's our responsibility to fix bugs and maintain it, so that we're
not jerking the rug out from under the people who have been so helpful and
important to the team.

Danny