On 31 August 2017 at 21:37, bawolff <bawolff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Legoktm <legoktm.wikipe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This was something that came up during "The Big Open" at Wikimania, when
>> Katherine Maher talked with Ryan Merkley (CEO of Creative Commons) and
>> Mark Surman (ED of Mozilla Foundation). One of the themes mentioned was
>> that our projects need to work together and support each other.
>>
>> In that vein, I'm interested in what people think about promoting
>> Firefox to users who are using legacy browsers that we don't support at
>> Grade A (or some other criteria). As part of the "drop IE8 on XP"
>> project[1] we're already promoting Firefox as the alternative option. I
>> was imagining it could be a small and unobtrusive bubble
>> notification[2], similar to those that Google pushes Chrome on people with.
>>
>> If users use modern browsers, they're going to have better security
>> support, and most likely a better experience browsing Wikimedia sites
>> too. We'd be improving the web by reducing legacy browsers, and allowing
>> us to move forward with newer technology sooner (ideally).
>>
>> And we'd be supporting a project that is ideologically aligned with us:
>> Mozilla.
>>
>> Thoughts, opinions?
>>
>> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T147199
>> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bubble_notifications
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -- Legoktm

> I'm concerned this would be seen as an inapropriate bias.
>
> Suggesting Firefox for IE8 on XP makes sense because it is basically
> the only option for that platform that is reasonably secure and not
> super obscure. Promoting firefox is general for legacy browsers seems
> like a slippery slope to me.
>
> Additionally, I think this is more a political than a technical
> decision, and one that would require consultation with the general
> Wikimedia community (e.g. Meta RFC).
>
> --
> Brian

+1 on appearing to be a slippery slope and benefiting from wider,
political, discussion.

I've promoted Wikimedia and projects as being deliberately agnostic.
Strategically, locking Wikimedia into fixed relationships with other
organizations with their own drives and timelines, is going to
increase risks downstream.

Fae