On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 3:57 PM Neil Patel Quinn <nqu...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> I understand the desire to avoid playing favorites by directing users to a
> list of browsers rather than a single one, but I think that cuts against
> *both
> *the goals of doing this in the first place.
>
> The first goal is to nudge users to upgrade from an insecure, less-capable
> browser to a modern one. But if we present them a list of 10 alternatives
> (or even 2), they're far more likely to get stuck in choice paralysis [1]
> and far less likely to actually do what we want and upgrade.

Indeed. A big list of "HEY PICK ONE OF THESE" means we'll end up fracturing
our users over a bunch of browsers that most of us would never even use
ourselves. I merely suggested Chromium alongside Firefox because it's also
free/open, even if driven by the BIG EVIL GOOGLE.

> The second goal is to strengthen non-profit, open-web-focused browser
> makers by increasing their market share. As I see it, the best way to do
> this is to nudge all our users towards a single, high-quality browser which
> already has significant market share, rather than distributing them across
> many different browsers with tiny market shares.

Indeed, like I said above. However high quality is subjective...my
experiences with Firefox have been horrible the last several years, which
is why I stick to Chromium/Chrome mostly. That's why I'd suggest like
basically 2-3 options tops so we don't play favorites :)

> I'd suggest that the best areas for debate are (1) whether these are good
> goals, (2) whether their benefits justify interrupting users' browsing, and
> (3) which single browser would be the best destination
>
> Obviously, my answers are (1) yes, (2) yes, and (3) Firefox, but some will
> disagree :)

(1) Eh, maybe. I care mostly because these older platforms are horribly
insecure and if we can get people on a half-decent browser on those
platforms then that's a win (cf: T118181 and all its various linked tasks).
Javascript is wayyyyy down the list of why I care here :)

(2) We already interrupt some of these users anyway per the TLS migration
stuff I mentioned in (1) above. I think the rollout there--start with small
percentages and slowly ramp up prior to there being a deadline is a good
route to go.

(3) I would *really* like to have 2--maybe 3--browsers to list. There's
zero reason to make users think there's only one option when there's a
couple of valid ones.

-Chad