*nods* I think the root problem is that the phabricator task system does
double duty as both an *issue reporting system* for users and a *task
tracker* for devs.

An issue reporting system should capture all actual problems and all actual
suggestions, and is meant to provide visibility for the devs into the world
of users. A task tracker should capture only things that are, or are
planned to be, worked on and is a work planning tool for the devs.
Secondarily if open, the task tracker provides visibility for the users
into the world of devs.

This mixup of concerns is endemic in open source software development,
unfortunately, and leads to exactly the sorts of conflicts you mention.

One way to handle this in a mixed single tracker environment is to use a
state marker such as a backlog column in a workboard -- don't decline, move
it to the "backlog" or "someday" column. Another is to use separate project
tags for general issues and specific work efforts. Put it in the general
project for issues, copy it to the work project if it's being tracked in
your work group.

-- brion