I agree with this approach, and also with moving tasks to a "freezer".

I support depreciating the use of "needs volunteer (developer)".

Pine
-------- Original message --------From: James Hare <jh...@wikimedia.org> Date:
10/2/18  11:41 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Wikimedia developers
<wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] problematic use of
"Declined" in Phabricator
On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 11:32 AM Stas Malyshev <smalys...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Realizing this, I think we need some mode of explicitly saying "we do
> not have any means to do it now or in near-term future, but we don't
> reject it completely and if we ever have resources or ways to do this,
> we might revisit this".
>
> We kinda sorta have this with "Stalled" status and "Need volunteer" tag,
> but we might want to get this status more prominent and distinguish
> "TODO" items outside of any planning cycle and the ones that are part of
> the ongoing development. And document it in the lifecycle document.

I have found that setting the priority to "lowest" is the closest thing we
have to "this is a valid task but we are not going to invest paid time into
it."

----
James Hare
Associate Product Manager