I think we are misusing the term "priority" here.  Priority for whom?
Setting something to "lowest" priority implies that users do not care about
the item. Unbreak now implies users need it fixed right away. "we have no
resources" does not mean its not needed, it just means WMF does not view it
as a priority, which might align, but frequently misalign with the user's
needs.

I suggest we use dashboard columns for the planning activities, while
keeping the tasks themselves fully under "requester's" control. E.g. let
the community decide what is more important, but use dashboards for team
work planning.  This way, if a volunteer developer wants to contribute,
they would look for the highest-demanded bugs that don't have active status
in any teams.