That information about the genesis of the code for signatures is very
interesting.  I've included it as a historical footnote on the relevant enwiki
page
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3ASignatures&type=revision&diff=879833503&oldid=876066084>,
and others might want to add it elsewhere.  These historical tidbits,
especially one that shows such a lovely human side to the practice of
coding and software development, can become even more meaningful over
time.  Thanks, Magnus - and thanks MusikAnimal for asking the question.

Risker/Anne