În joi, 14 mar. 2019 la 22:23, Gergő Tisza <gti...@gmail.com> a scris:
> About backlogs in general, Chromium is probably the biggest
> open-source Google repo; that has currently 940K tickets, 60K of which are
> open, and another 50K have been auto-archived after a year of inactivity.
> (As others have pointed out, having a huge backlog and ruthlessly closing
> tasks that do not get on the roadmap are the only two realistic options,
> and the latter does have its advantages, no one here seems to be in favor
> of it.) We have 220K tasks in total, 40K of which are open, so that's in
> the same ballpark

That's an overstatement: 18% (not counting bugs closed as declined) is
almost double to 11%. If you're going this route, we're doing much
worse than Chromium.

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:02 PM Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The main problem I see with the community wishlist is that it's a
> > process beside the normal process, not part of it. The dedicated team
> > takes 10 bugs and other developers another ~10. I think we would be
> > much better off if each team at the WMF would also take the top ranked
> > bug on their turf and solve it and bump the priority of all the other
> > bugs by one (e.g. low->medium). One bug per year per team means at
> > least 18 bugs (at least if [1] is up to date) or something similar.
> >

> Community Tech is seven people and they do ten wishlist requests a year.
> (Granted, they do other things too, but the wishlist is their main focus.)
> So you are proposing to reallocate on average 1-2 months per year for every
> team to work on wishlist wishes. That's about two million dollars of donor
> money. How confident are you that the wishlist is actually a good way of
> estimating the impact of tasks, outside of the narrow field where editors
> have personal experience (ie. editing tools)?

I'm 99.9% sure the wishlist is relevant in at least half the
categories (Admins&patrollers, Bots&Gadgets, Editing, Notifications,
Programs&Events, Watchlists, Wikidata, Wikisource, Wiktionary) and
very likely (80%) also for Anti-harassment, Categories and Maps.

I'm not sure how you arrived at the $2M figure (even 36 months of dev
time - 18 teams, 2 man-months/team - only add up to ~$400K, unless
Glasdoor is waaay off on the salaries there [2]), but presumably going
down on the list will also surface bugs and not only features, which
will take less time to solve. Investing an additional 1% of the
revenue into this seems reasonable to me.

[2] https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Wikimedia-Foundation-Salaries-E38331.htm

> UploadWizard is not in active development currently.

I did not claim (or asked) that it was. What I said is that it is an
important part of the infrastructure and that it should be maintained
properly. I also said I will try to come up with a more detailed
critique later on and see if it has any result.

Strainu