Ken Thomases wrote:
Pierre could speak to this better than I, but my understanding is that the Quartz driver does not need the DIB engine. Quartz (the Mac's imaging and windowing API) is capable of drawing to offscreen bitmaps directly, at color depths that need not match the display's.

This has implications for the design of the DIB engine, because it should be designed to allow the graphics driver to override/bypass it.

I suggested to do all the work server-side a while back:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2005-July/038695.html

Especially see:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2005-July/038703.html

Now, in my opinion we shouldn't care about those apps but it's not up to me. :)

Felix