If you are suggesting an AP you could suggest that they purchase an AP that supports 802.11a if their laptop supports 802.11a. That way there would be more than 3 channels and therefore the possibility of less interference.

Along the same lines, if they purchase an 802.11n AP and their laptop supports 802.11n (or pre-n) I would think that they would be less susceptible to interference on the same channel since 802.11n can discriminate batter based on direction than 802.11g.