From: Charles R. Bartel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:55 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] What about WLAN in the Dorms?

Philippe:

Here are answers from Carnegie Mellon. We have had Wireless Andrew in our
dorms since the summer of 2001.

-Destruction/disappearance of APs

In our agreement with our Housing Services department, students that have a
university-owned AP in their dorm rooms are covered under the same agreement
that holds the student responsible for any damage to their rooms (the AP is
considered part of their room). For APs in common areas, all students in the
dorm are charged their fair share of the AP replacement for damage or theft
(the same as if there was damage to any other common use item in the dorm).

We have lost a few over the years, I believe more in the academic/research
buildings than the dorms.

-Interferences by cordeless phones
-Interference from rogue APs (innocent or voluntary)

These two are covered under our "Airspace" policy. We reserve the right to
limit the use of non-Wireeless Andrew 2.4Ghz devices. I hesitate to mention
this as I don't want to start the discussion up again on the d-list about an
OTARD. Our Legal Affairs office has upheld our "Airspace" policy given the
OTARD rules.

-Do you do use vendors that provide a Wi-Fi defense
 (Airtight, Airmagnet, Built-in Meru disassociation)

Not yet, we do use Airmagnet and other tools to search for rogue APs if
there appears to be an interference problem.

-If you have a wired port for every student, is wireless
 becoming a replacement or is it a complement

We do have a wired port for every "pillow" in the dorms (we have since the
late 1980's). We also have 100% wireless coverage (11b). We are seeing a
significant preference for wireless over wired, but we are a fairly
computing intensive campus, so the wired ports get a workout as well.

-...and all these ugly ones that we have not thought about

Nothing jumps out at the moment.

Best Regards,
Chuck Bartel
Director of Network Services