Flexibility is paramount in any Wireless network.  We all want to build the
minimum to meet the coverage and performance expectations for today and
tomorrow.  The problem is what about day after tomorrow?  Once wireless kindles
in minor uses and innovation begins then the usage patterns start to change.
Of course there are the fixed laptop cart classrooms that make user density
planning easy.  Ideally we would all deploy a maximum level of capacity at all
locations -- if money were no object.

This is, in my opinion, the most outstanding feature and benefit that Meru
delivers above all others in the a/b/g and even in the n range.

Where else can you paint for coverage with an access point that can handle
between 128 clients.  *This is a tested number with VoWLAN phones by one of
their clients*  Then take that paint for coverage model and deploy additional
capacity on non-overlapping channels anywhere it is needed.  Now you've
provided the optimal formula, the minimum to operate everywhere with the
minimum costs (both financial and technical) to upgrade.  You don't sacrifice
your tech staffs time to resurvey by changing power levels on micro or pico
cells.  You don't waste resources buying more access points than you need.  You
DO at absolute maximum deployment gain the ability to deploy EVERYWHERE in your
environment the full 3 non overlapping channels of b/g or the ful 8-16 channels
of a (depending on region) l  thus providing the absolute maximum possible
bandwidth that either standard can supply for more clients per ap than any
other vendor can support.

The added option of using centralized architecture with the ability to detach
the dataplane of any AP from tunneled to bridged brings management and
flexibility.  This way when you have multi-radio ap's capable of generating
more bandwidth than you have deliverable to your controllers you don't have to
decentralize your controllers, you have a choice.  WIth Meru when you do this
you still get configuration and firmware maintenance from the central
controller.

The various rules of thumb out there are wise but become less critical as
scaling the network becomes less of a hassle and less of a cost.

Perhaps I've had too much Meru kool-aid but this is one case where there isn't
too much of a good thing.  The data from their variety of clients bears it out
quite well.

Mike

-
Michael G. Ruiz, ESSE ACP A+
Network and Systems Engineer
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Information Technology Services

P.315-781-3711  F.315-781-3409
Team Leader: Derek Lustig ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Did you know that HWS Students, Faculty, Staff, Alums, etc
can purchase computers, accessories, electronics and software
at a discount through our partner CDW-G?
http://www.cdwg.com/hws/
-