  From: Tom Zeller
  To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 3:25 PM
  Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] The strategic importance of 802.11a

  In considering a major wireless overhaul, we're having a serious discussion
  about the real importance of 802.11a in upcoming dual-mode cellular/WiFi
  devices.  Our current WLAN is b/g.

   802.11a seems to be in about 10% of our laptops, judging from an
  experimental AP we put in one of our busiest sites.  I understand it is now
  part of the Centrino set, so I would expect that to increase over time.

  The real question seems to be the role of dual-mode phones and the support
  of voice over WiFi.

  1) Is support of voice over WiFi really strategic and why?  One could argue
  that cell phones are sufficient in most locations.  Getting "free" voice
  over WiFi vs cell minutes doesn't seem to be worth the cost alone.  Of
  course, WiFi adds coverage for such devices in the interiors of buildings.
  Does that justify a rather large additional cost for infrastructure?

  2) If the answer to the above question is "yes", is installation of 802.11a
  going to be important for mobile voice devices, especially dual-modes?
  There seem to be very few 802.11a dual mode devices on the market now,
  though I read there will be at least 80 more certified this year.

  For many vendors, the additional cost of adding 11a to the mix is
  substantial.  The cost of denser deployment (we currently have what I think
  of as edge-to-edge coverage, with little overlap) is also non-trivial.

  I would be interested to hear other's opinions on these questions.

  Tom Zeller
  Indiana University
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]