From: Jonn Martell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 4:16 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] The strategic importance of 802.11a

802.11a is very strategic; the question is not an if, but a when.

The regulatory bodies released new spectrum in the 5.35 to 5.475 GHz
with better power capabilities than what was seen in the fledging
UNI-1 (5.15 to 5.25).

So, if you throw away UNI-1, add the four non-overlap channels in
UNI-2 (5.25-5.35) to the four channels in the 5.8 GHz range and add
the 11 new channels, you magically get a *lot* of real estate not
available in the 2.4 GHz range. It's the best way to support a high
number of users and applications such as VoWLAN and the reason why
pico cells will win out in the long term (IMHO).

With the new spectrum comes the requirement to use dynamic frequency
selection (DFS) and Transmit Power Control (TPC) which means better
battery life, less interference and generally a better RF environment.

Not sure if there is a Wi-Fi certification for the "new" 802.11a
products but there should be. I'd be very careful to deploy products
that can't support the new frequencies in the 5 GHz range, if you do,
make sure it's at "throw away" pricing...

Jonn Martell, Martell Consulting
CWNT, CWNE, CWSP, CWAP, Wireless#
[EMAIL PROTECTED] www.martell.ca

On 6/17/07, Tom Zeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In considering a major wireless overhaul, we're having a serious
discussion
> about the real importance of 802.11a in upcoming dual-mode cellular/WiFi
> devices.  Our current WLAN is b/g.
>
>  802.11a seems to be in about 10% of our laptops, judging from an
> experimental AP we put in one of our busiest sites.  I understand it is
now
> part of the Centrino set, so I would expect that to increase over time.
>
> The real question seems to be the role of dual-mode phones and the support
> of voice over WiFi.
>
> 1) Is support of voice over WiFi really strategic and why?  One could
argue
> that cell phones are sufficient in most locations.  Getting "free" voice
> over WiFi vs cell minutes doesn't seem to be worth the cost alone.  Of
> course, WiFi adds coverage for such devices in the interiors of buildings.
> Does that justify a rather large additional cost for infrastructure?
>
> 2) If the answer to the above question is "yes", is installation of
802.11a
> going to be important for mobile voice devices, especially dual-modes?
> There seem to be very few 802.11a dual mode devices on the market now,
> though I read there will be at least 80 more certified this year.
>
> For many vendors, the additional cost of adding 11a to the mix is
> substantial.  The cost of denser deployment (we currently have what I
think
> of as edge-to-edge coverage, with little overlap) is also non-trivial.
>
> I would be interested to hear other's opinions on these questions.
>
> Tom Zeller
> Indiana University
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 812-855-6214

Jonn Martell, BSc, PMP
Director of Technical Operations
Fairleigh Dickenson University - Vancouver
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
877-338-8002
604-802-2022 (cell)