Hi Ethan, et al,

I am new to the list but noticed this discussion and thought I might offer
my two cents.  I work at Westmont College, a liberal arts college in the
Santa Barbara area.  We evaluated Aruba, Cisco and Meraki last summer.  We
had a previous Aruba installation, running for several years, and with
moderate success.  What we found was that Meraki's model was made extremely
flexible and simple by virtue of having no onsite controller.  Being in the
cloud, the controller itself was accessible by anyone we chose to allow
access to it, not just whoever had knowledge of the specific command
structure of the onsite controller, as was the case with the Aruba
installation.  Because of that flexibility, I or any of my network staff can
log on from anywhere, be it a cafe, home or iPhone.  Additionally, I can
easily log into my local AP, wherever I am on campus, and get local
information about that AP.

Being a smallish shop, we used a local integrator, Novacoast, to work with
us on some reengineering and deployment.  I only mention that because before
we approached them, NC had never even heard of Meraki.  Within a few weeks
they were fully credentialed and ready to go.  That I almost entirely
attribute to how easy Meraki is to deploy, though certainly NC were great.
 We spent some time working through our preferred configuration, some of
which was a logical lift from the Aruba and some entirely new.  We had
around 270 Aruba ABG units (AP61s I think...) that were not upgradeable to N
and as I mentioned the controller management was challenging.  Only our
Network Manager had access and knowledge enough to manage the unit.  We
replaced with nearly the same number of Merakis but gained full coverage
around campus (indoor and out), N, dual and triband radios and an elegance
in operation that has continued.  With the Meraki setup even our CIO logs on
and can easily run usage reports, drill down to specific APs, clients, time
frames etc.  Whenever Meraki enables a new feature, of which there have been
several, they are applied to the cloud controller and have no effect to the
local APs (=no down time).  There have been a couple firmware updates but
those are applied intelligently so that there is minimal downtime in the
middle of the night and the update is applied in batches so we don't have a
campus of dark APs during the upgrade.  We haven't had a single unit fail.

The long and short is that we have barely thought about the system since
putting it in.  We are in it all the time to check usage (...the ongoing
struggle to have enough bandwidth etc etc), troubleshoot client issues
(typically client misconfiguration by user), and see what new features have
been added.  But I don't worry about it.  Ever. That may not be a standard
TCO argument but for my money it's a big one.

Cheers

Kevin

Kevin J. Hess '98

Senior Director