One of the things that we looked at was the cost of the enclosures for 800+
APs versus the cost to replace damaged ones. We figured out that on average
it would probably cost less each year to replace damaged APs than to protect
them all with enclosures. Then of course there was the issue with making
future models fit in existing enclosures, etc.
But as Mike said in 4+ years we haven't really had any incidents.

Someone mentioned that their ethernet cables sometimes get unplugged, did
you mean from the AP itself or from the jack? Our units (Cisco
1300's/1400's) mount on top of the box so that there is no jack exposed, and
there is a locking plate with a lock on it that hides the cable/connector,
and keeps the AP from being removed. I assumed that this was standard
practice with most makes/models.

Joe Roth
Networking Group
Binghamton University