From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jethro R Binks
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:40 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless only dorms, advice?

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Lee H Badman wrote:

> Though slightly off topic, I gotta chime in. I wish all major vendors
> offered an in-wall wireless AP option- very empowering for environments
> with lots of unused UTP.

Seems to be getting better.  Aruba have just announced something
("wall-to-wall wifi"), HP introduced something last year, and Brocade's
rebadged Motorola solution has had one for a while, and it seems Ruckus
too.  Dunno about Cisco, but if not now it is probably coming.

Need to keep an eye on the capabilites of them though; some may or may
not offer 11n, or maybe only at 2.4G.

Jethro.

> Lee H. Badman
> Wireless/Network Engineer
> Information Technology and Services
> Adjunct Instructor, iSchool
> Syracuse University
> 315 443-3003

 lly reduces the coverage area of 5GHz.

> I'm sure others that have already implemented wireless only can provide
> actual results but these are some of the things we're trying to factor in.
>
> Rick
>

> On 1/18/2012 1:05 PM, Laird, Sara M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for anyone who has moved to wireless only dorms.  We have fast
> track dorm construction project that is starting and our CIO would like to
> make it wireless only.  I am wondering if anyone has done this and if so what
> kind of advice or comments can you share.  We will be using Cisco waps.  Also
> I am wondering what kind of ratio you based your access points on, how many
> devises per person.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Sara
>
> Sara M. Laird
> Network Administrator
> Mount Saint Mary's University
> 301.447.5014
> Faith * Discovery * Leadership * Community
> http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
>
> --
> [cid:image001.png@01CCD5EC.D565F9D0]
> http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.