From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Brian Helman
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:53 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless in Residence Halls

I've been very hesitant to put powered units in the resident units.  My concern
is less the tampering issue, and more the service issue.  I don't want to have
to schedule around students to fix them if they do break.  We have placed units
in a few apartments out of necessity.  The students are responsible for the
replacement if they are broken (and we use Xirrus, so they aren't cheap).
We've also made it clear that, if they are tampered with we'll turn off the
service.

This is the first term we've had them in the (few) rooms. It's been fine.  If I
had to do it en mass, I'd be more inclined to leave the hardware in the hallway
and extend an antenna into the room, if that is possible.

-Brian