*From:* The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:
WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] *On Behalf Of *Peter P Morrissey
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:39 AM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
*Subject:* Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Non-802.1x devices on wireless...

My only suggestion would be to be careful not to err on the side of “suck.”
We did that for a while, but I really had a problem offering a service that
“sucks.” It also struck me that it did not offer a welcoming environment
 to our visitors. I agree that it is important to have incentives that
gently steer non-guests towards the 802.1x service. Logging into a web page
each time provides built in incentive. We also found that that limiting the
time they are allowed to use the guest service, to the time it takes to get
a temporary ID that can get them on 802.1x was the ideal, rather than
cripple the service itself so that it was a frustrating experience for
those who used it. We usually capture a phone number to cover attribution.
The other advantage of the “open” SSID is that it is a good temporary
solution for someone who has issues configuring their device for 1x. Some
devices have difficulties (even using Xpressconnect). And when you think
about it, maybe it isn’t the end of the world if someone who can do 802.1x
uses an open SSID. It happens all the time in coffee shops, hotels and
airports all across the country.

Pete Morrissey