Well stated Peter.

Could you imagine the outrage if ISP's started requiring their
residential customers to on-board their systems? If you couldn't pass a
bit of traffic without registering first, applying patches, etc. What if
starbucks or others did the same? It's what we are effectively doing in
EDU, and I struggle to find data saying it's effective. Same goes for
those still trying to manage/shape/block file sharing protocols, but
that's a different story.

I question the need for admin encryption as well, but when you own the
devices, it's less work to support it. I think you could extend that
thought to what our environments may look like in another 5-10 years.
With the push toward cloud-based services, and those services using
encrypted transports by default, will we eventually come back full
circle to open wifi?

Jeff

>>> On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 11:42 AM, in message
<be09b41edf9c42df8404a864d90e0...@ex13-mbx-12.ad.syr.edu>, Peter P
Morrissey <ppmor...@syr.edu> wrote:

“Don't assume I'm counter to what we've traditionally been doing in
EDU, but I'm constantly reevaluating if some of these "best practices"
have outlived their usefulness.”
I think that is a very healthy approach. We shouldn’t do things just
because we’ve always done them a certain way or because we have some
vague sense that we have to because it is somehow more secure. We
stopped doing NAC a few years ago for this reason. The vendor we were
using caused way to many issues for our students, extra expenses and
labor us supporting them. Given that OS’s tend to have auto updates and
firewalls turned on by default now, the gain we got from enforcing it
for those who did not was not measurable. Not to mention we are
essentially an ISP for the students. Do ISP’s ever require this? Our
students don’t know what it is like to not have a computer and they
seemed to survive just fine before they got here, so do we need to
enforce behaviors that weren’t enforced at home? So far no one has been
able to demonstrate any measurable advantage to do the posture checking
component of NAC. I have a much longer, involved justification on that
that I will spare you reading right now.
We get authentication and thus historical retribution from 802.1x by
default, which is also considered NAC by some definitions. This is
handy. We also get encryption, although I’m with you on questioning that
as well. Nowadays, it is hard to come up with an application that needs
to be secured that doesn’t already add its own encryption. So why do we
need encryption at layer 2? I seriously could be missing something on
this, and would welcome further input. And if you really want to go wild
here, do we even need it for the admin side? Just asking. Don’t judge
me. J
Pete Morrissey