Hey! Resolved! Meraki Support called me up and confirmed that this is a bug.
(Thanks, Educause!)  Affects MR16s and MR18s; so far they don’t think it is in
anything else, but they haven’t pinned that down for sure yet. In any case, it
is minor: performance is not impaired at all, just the AP status page.

(Apparently the tech on my case was aware of this known bug, but wasn’t sure if
they were allowed to tell me! SO, Meraki needs to work a bit on transparency to
their customers: If they had responded to my ticket right off saying “This is a
known display bug. Don’t worry about those noise reports” I would have been all
set, and would have closed the ticket, instead of fussing with it back and
forth for two weeks, and finally resorting to asking all of you about it.)

Also, Lee, it turns out there is a way to see this AP test page remotely! (Or
at least, there is if you have access to the VLAN that your APs are on). Either
this is a new feature, or I just never noticed it before.

In the Meraki Dashboard, on  "Network-wide > Configure General” scroll down to
the “Device Configuration” section.

Below this are two drop down menus:

 “Local device status page enabled” (or disabled):
I had this enabled, I think by default, as I don’t really remember seeing it
before. This lets the AP respond to my.meraki.com <http://my.meraki.com/>  (or
ap.meraki.com <http://ap.meraki.com/>).

THEN,  “Remote device status page enabled”:
This one was disabled, by default I think. I enabled it, and then browsing to
an AP’s local LAN address gives the same page as you get when connected to the
AP. In my case it shows the bogus noise on my MR16s and MR18s.

Steve Bohrer
Network Admin, ITS
Bard College at Simon's Rock
413-528-7645