From:   "Parker, Ron" <ron.par...@brazosport.edu>
To:     WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Date:   07/02/2015 03:23 PM
Subject:        Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless Door Locks
Sent by:        The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

I would strongly advise against these locks unless you fully understand
their limitations and are OK with them. We did some construction projects
where hard-wired locks were ?value engineered? out of the project to save
money. We ended up with a bunch of wireless Assa Abloy locks that don?t
work right and that we can?t get support on. They have been nothing but
headaches for us. Most of them don?t work anymore and we can?t find anyone
in the Houston area that can support them.

They are useless if you want to do a building lockdown for a security
issue. They can?t be locked or unlocked remotely because they aren?t in
constant contact with the access control system. Ours poll the access
control system once per day in the middle of the night, that?s it. You
can?t remove access to an area instantly by revoking a user?s card or
access level. You have to wait for the update to happen that night or go
to that lock (or locks) and manually trigger an update.

The locks originally arrived with WEP security as the only available
option. I rejected that and insisted they upgrade them to WPA2 or I would
not allow them on the network. That was done but we ended up paying extra
to have their controller modules changed out.

We?ve learned the hard way that IT needs to insist on being at every
possible construction and design meeting and to stay on top of these
things all along the way or we end up with these kinds of messes dumped on
us. We still got things dumped on us in spite of our best efforts but at
least we tried. Do not trust architects or construction companies to do
what makes sense in today?s IT world. They don?t understand our field any
more than we understand theirs.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111