I plead guilty.

When I was at University of Tennessee, we turned eduroam on (back in 2005-06)
and did very little to inform the community.
Classic Technologists believing that the service was so awesome that users
would look into this formidable extra SSID with this beautiful self explanatory
name. Yeah right!
Many years later we informed the community (news, email etc,,,), and very few
people joined it anyway. Most of them were confused between UT-WPA2 and eduroam.

This summer UTK reduced their SSIDs to just two (big Bravo to the IT group):
UT-Open (MAC address Auth and Guests) and eduroam. There is little need to
advertise eduroam or explain why there are two secure SSIDs.
It just works, users are enabled for millions of Access-Points in one setup.
Most of the filtering for local users VS visitors is done via domains and VLANs.

As Jonathan pointed out: ask you users.

Philippe

Philippe Hanset, CEO
www.anyroam.net