----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom DeReggi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] To Break the Law or Not to BreaktheLaw...That is
theQuestion

> John,
>
> I support your view.
> We can not assume that the FCC's intent for Wireless is evil, just because
> there is huge lobby efforts by our competitors (Cable and Telephone) and
> Lots of debate at the FCC to address equality issues regarding VOIP, that
> has generated much hippocracy and trouble in the FCC and Governement.  For
> example, I don't think there is any evidence that gathering Data on WISPs
is
> for the purpose to establish a basis for Taxing.

Tom, you're misunderstanding what people are saying here.   Nowhere have I
said that the present intent is "evil".   The stated goal is PROBABLY what
they say it is.   Assuming the "given" that is what it is, that does NOT
preclude future use for things that will harm us.  It is the NATURE OF
GOVERNMENT REGULATION TO HARM BUSINESS.    They regulate for political
purposes ( Does "We'll give them 911 service" ring any bells?) and we, the
small guys, get whipsawed into bankruptcy.

A database doesn't have to be gathered for the purpose of taxing.   It
merely has to exist, to be USED for taxing, for regulating, for mandates.
Nothing mysterious about that.  And as we can see, mandates arrive without
any public request for them, taxes arrive without ANY recourse or warning.

Intent isn't even an issue.   I don't care what the "intent" is, that is
irrelevant.  It's what it can be used for that matters, because they WILL
use it for that, history has made this as clear as sunrise in the desert.

> The support of Wireless has been nothing but possitive from the FCC and
ALL
> their officials.  Even with lacking support for 700Mhz, its not because of
> lack of support for WISPs, but because the strength of the counter view
> broadcasting industry.  Its important that Wireless provider show proof
that
> they are a large enough size to be considered part of the solution. The
only
> way wireless providers are going to start getting grand money and funds
from
> governements to help them grow, is for them to show their possitive unique
> contributions.  The ONLY reason, I could see that reporting would be a
> negative thing, is that if most WISPs actually have fewer subscribers than
> they represent, and they don't want to let the FCC know the truth, because
> if they do, they won't be recognized adequately because their small scale,
> and WISPs do not want to lie and create a record of untruth.

Wrong.   We don't want "The hammer" coming to smash us.   Giving them that
much knowledge is fatal.  period.  Doesn't matter if that's not what they
want it for, doesn't matter if the knowledge itself will "give" us other
things.   They will take far more than they give - that is indisputable.
We have the history of every industry that becomes regulated.   Eventually,
it evolves to one or a few monopolies.   And it took how many years of
lawsuits to break up Ma Bell?   Gee, ISP's fought tooth and nail to get
UNE's and then lost it in a court fight.

I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO LIVE IN THAT ENVIRONMENT, where my fate hangs NOT
in my own initiative and creativity, but at the whims of someone I granted
power over me.

> Wireless is not a young indistry at this point. It took DSL 5 years to
reach
> mass penetration. I personally have been in this industry for 5 years, and
> haven;t met mass penetration yet :-)  Why are we growing so slowly.
Showing
> a small subscriber base, could tell the FCC they need to favor companies
> that have quicker growth potential, like the ILECs and Cable companies
that
> are taking on millions of customers. Give them the spectrum to deploy
> quicker than small WISPs can do.  Thats my fear.

Then fear away.   Registering WISP's will not affect that future one tiny
smidgeon.

> But the truth is, if numbers are low, that has to be shown, so we can make
> cases to the FCC why the numbers are low, and how they can help us get
past
> the barriers that are slowing us.  Does the FCC realize that Wireless
> providers in teh Urban america have such slow growth because lack of
> easements? Do Otard rules need to be expanded? Are higher power levels
> needed in spectrum, etc.  Manufacturers have to much pull with the FCC,
> because they can backup their requests with billions of dollars in sales.
> Can we the WISP community?

If the hammer comes to smash us, certainly not.   We won't even exist, and
we, the operators, and our customers, will be the only mourners.

> I think we have to try. We need EVERY SINGLE PERSON REPORTING making our
> numbers higher.  Because we need to be recognized as a group that NEEDS
> assistance, Because we are helping Society today.  IF more people had
> reported, maybe we would ahve had more favoratism with the 700Mhz debates?

We might.  But the loss will far outweigh any gains.

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-