From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rick Smith
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 9:19 PM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: RE: [WISPA] 900 Mhz Mikrotik SR9 Clients

Why can't I sell what I've built ?    Because it doesn't brag on the
Alvarion name ?  Please.

As for growth path, I've got rooftop leases for these repeaters.
They're
legally guaranteed for 30 yrs in most cases.  Sheesh, in some cases, the
houses will fall down before the equipment dies.

I noticed that you pointed out the CX-BA-2.4-900 stuff.  That's all fine
and
good.   Oranges to Oranges, its WAYYYY more expensive to use Alvarion,
and
by $1000's.  CX 2.4/900 repeater is like $2,000 or more.  Same
functionality
with Mikrotik and Ubiquiti is around $500.  So, the way I see it, I can
put
4 repeaters up, and cover 4 times the area that I can with one CX
repeater.
AND, my tower side cost me $2,000 less as well!   So, $5,000 spent = 1
customer and repeater with tower side on Alvarion, or 9 customers with
repeaters and tower side with Mikrotik / Ubiquiti, AND I've got 9
repeaters
out there touching a ton more customers.

With Mikrotik, I've got firewalling / vpn / qos / bandwidth metering /
HOTSPOT / OSPF / WDS / and a routed network all the way to each
customer, OR
a bridged network if I should so choose.

Why would I have any less a path for growth or satisfactory exit in
putting
together Mikrotik solutions as opposed to Alvarion ?
Cost of implementation's cheaper.
Cost of replacement's cheaper.
Cost of value added services are cheaper, AND implemented with only a
phone
call from the customer or even a hotspot implementation.
Future bandwidth's "just there" - no manufacturer throttling to pay to
upgrade like Alvarion
Mikrotik doesn't tell me what I can't do - they put it all there and let
you
decide.  No unlock extortion.

Actually, I just sold a chunk of my Pennsylvania network, that was still
in
a build-up phase, with tower sites installed and a couple customers, for
some cash that's going to run the rest of my network for a while.  Whole
thing was built on Canopy and Mikrotik tower sides and cpe's.

Ya know, there IS one product I'll use religiously from Alvarion and
it's
the 2.4 DS11 backhaul units.  Rock solid, decently priced (on the used
market) and it's truly install-and-forget-it's-there stuff.

I just don't see the financial advantage to spending anything else on
Alvarion gear though.  Especially when I've got high speed backhauls,
short
and long distance backhauls, multiple frequency ranges, including
licensed
and public safety, LOS, NLOS and hotspot / billing / etc all built into
one
platform that doesn't cost a ton of money, and there's a lot of good
support
for.

I don't see how that's bad business.