----- Original Message ----- From: "David E. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] bits per mbps

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

First, I have to figure out how many kbps a gig of download would be.
Specifically, I've got a couple of customers doing 50 gigs per month.
How many kbps does it take to generate that?

Assuming a month is 30 days (nice round number), 50GB/month is about
161kbps, all the time. That's the equivalent of, say, leaving a
high-quality streaming radio station running, or a low-quality video
feed like gbs.tv.

OK, so, when I pay $250 per mbps that works out to how many $ per month?

Fake answer: Too many, you're getting robbed by your upstream. :)

Serious answer: 1Mbps constant is about 316.4GB over 30 days.

Now, lets look at this from a pragmatic standpoint.  Reality rearing
it's ugly head into the average business model.....

Dude, I just run the NOC, I don't know nothin' 'bout no numbers. :D

So, Mr. Allergic, how do you suggest a guy stay in business?????

Y'know, my fake answer suddenly looks a lot better. :)

In all seriousness, if you've got more than four or five T1s, you may
want to look into a DS3. At least locally, once you get past there, a
fractional (or even a full) DS3 becomes more cost-effective. If you
expect to be in business for another three or five years (and who
doesn't?) signing a long-term contract with your upstream can bring the
price down even further.

Even if you don't need all that bandwidth now, you'll probably need it
in the next couple years. If you're really ambitious, you can use some
of that extra bandwidth and expand into other computer-y stuff (virtual
servers, colocation, Web hosting, whatever). The typical residential or
small-business user pulls a lot more download than upload; you might as
well use all that extra upload capacity for something.

Yepeprs, I could do that. But right now I have a 100 meg ethernet connection. I have home users that can do speakeasy tests of 30 megs. 15 megs upload! They pay $40 per month.

I'm paying $700 per month for that ability. I could buy mbps and pay less. Probably a lot less. But then I'd also have to buy a cap in speeds. So my 30 meg customers would no longer get 30 megs. They'd get 3 or 4 or whatever $700 to $1000 would buy me. I promise it wouldn't be 100 megs.

AND, that 50 gig user would STILL cost me more than he's paying me. Remember I have another $10 or more per cusotmer in labor, gas, insurance, office space etc. etc. etc.

Next idea?

There are more things to look at than just the bandwidth issue OR just the money issue. It's a big picture and a person has to be able to take in all of it AND understand what he's looking at.

Then, we have to tweak it to fit the lifestyle we want to live and where we want to send the kids to college......

David Smith
MVN.net