----- Original Message ----- From: "David E. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] bits per mbps

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

First, I have to figure out how many kbps a gig of download would be.
Specifically, I've got a couple of customers doing 50 gigs per month.
How many kbps does it take to generate that?

Assuming a month is 30 days (nice round number), 50GB/month is about
161kbps, all the time. That's the equivalent of, say, leaving a
high-quality streaming radio station running, or a low-quality video
feed like gbs.tv.

OK, so, when I pay $250 per mbps that works out to how many $ per month?

I'm staying out of the rest of the discussion, because I'm violently
allergic to pay-by-the-bit pricing. It may make good sense to the
bookkeeper, but with streaming media (YouTube, Google Video), big
downloadable media (iTunes movies, Amazon Unbox), and giant software
downloads (World of Warcraft and just about every other MMORPG) becoming
more prevalent, I think it's just gonna seriously annoy your users in
the long term.

I understand all about that.

Now, lets look at this from a pragmatic standpoint. Reality rearing it's ugly head into the average business model.....

You say that my abusers are at 161 kbps. That means that there are 9.3 abusers per t-1. With t-1 costs around $400 on average, that means that those customers will cost me $44.44 each. JUST in bandwidth expenses.

Most of our customers pay us $35 to $40 each.

So, Mr. Allergic, how do you suggest a guy stay in business?????

grin

David Smith
MVN.net