On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:09:23 -0700, Marlon K. Schafer wrote
> Mark, your info is 3 years old....
>
> We have to be ready to "tap our lines".  Even IMs.
> marlon

I think you missed my point, Marlon... That being that not even the
government is a reliable source of information about what the government
wants and demands.

www.askcalea.com is direct from their mouths.

Yes, it's "old", but then the site is still considered live.

THE FCC is saying one thing, a different agency is saying another.
Concurrently.

I have been attempting for how long now, to get across to you people that
this whole CALEA flap for ISP's is NOT LAW, but opinion from the FCC, where
it's attempting to write law instead of Congress.

It's a mess, because it's NOT LAW, only Congress can write law and it has yet
to write a law that says we have to do squat.

Frankly, I think every broadband ISP should file and say "we will never be
compliant" and just let them TRY to shut down every ISP in the country.  It's
about time we told THEM where to get off, rather than being lambs to the
slaughter.

But no. WISPA leads the charge to slaughter it's own industry by begging to
be regulated out of existence.

Just three years ago, the WISP industry and WISPA was going to show the world
just how scrappy, independent and courageous we were.

We did alright.  We turned into worms and mashed ourselves into the pavement
instead.

One can only imagine the reaction if some actual competitive threat came
along.