Just got off a vacation and picked up this thread.

I have the same "off & on" problem when I put my UPS inline on generator
power.  The batteries do not charge, instead they drain, even when adjusting
the sensitivity.

So I guess I have a 2-part question...

1. What portable gasoline generators have people been successful with using
the APC Smart-UPS 700VA or higher?  Successful meaning the generator
provides power and the UPS charges its batteries.

2. It's still not clear whether or not these larger generators with
automatic transfer switches can run clean enough power to do the same?

JohnnyO I'd like to hear about what you've got along these lines that's
affordable.

Thanks.

Mark Nash
UnwiredOnline.Net