Let me clarify what I was trying to say; if it came across the wrong
way, please excuse my irresponsibility of posting at 3:30 in the
morning and not necessarily being as coherent as I may like to have
been.

To some extent, this is a common "issue" for all sorts of
businesses--not just WISPs.  Most SMB organizations (be it Rotary,
chambers, trade organizations, or likewise) have a heavy emphisis on
what can best be summarized by "fair business practices".  (Rotary's
"is it fair" is a good example)

While some may point to this as a moral issue (which it is to some
degree), I tend to view this as simply good business practices.  While
it is not necessarily the most intuitive concept to some new business
owners, most people who have been in business for a while learn that
engaging in unfair business practices ultimately hurt themselves in
the long run and are often not even a good ideal from a
fiscal/business sense.  (That isn't to say that some people don't
profit from this, but by and large, most people suffer).

For example (I am in the process of moving), one of the lenders I have
been shopping at for a mortgage has been very insulting towards his
competition.  While, on the surface, I suppose he feels that he is
"advertising" himself as "better"; most customers take from the
experience that lenders are generally a corrupt bunch.  Bad mouthing
your competition, in the end, bad-mouths the industry as a whole and
makes it harder for anyone to get customers in the future.  I
generally have a bad feel for real estate agents for just this reason;
as such, when selling my house, I did a for sale by owner.  This is
because I've heard enough unprofessional/malicious comments about
various real estate agents from other agents that I've generally
gotten the idea that I don't have good odds of getting a reliable
agent...

In any case, what I was relating was not a plan of action, but a brief
outline of a conversation that was related to me.  New businesses, of
all sorts, sometimes do have to be explained some basic principles of
doing business...a lot of this is general (ie the basic rotary/chamber
stuff), some of it is industry specific (interference on unlicensed
spectrum).  In the end, the point of the conversation is to make it
clear that a "good business" culture is the only culture in which
ANYONE can build a business model.  In the case of WISPs, the only way
ANYONE has a business model is for EVERYONE to participate in a
culture of trust and cooperation--noise is much easier to cause than
signal.  If a new upstart has the short sighted vision that knocking
off the competition using malicious tactics will gain them customers,
explaining to them that, in such an environment, no one has any
reliability on their business model may be in order.

BTW, for the record, I don't advocate actually knocking off, or
(tactily or otherwise) threatening retaliation...one, it removes any
and all opportunity of legal recourse, two, it is unethical, and
three, it is generally bad business practice.  However, a face to face
conversation explaining that this is really in no ones best interest
be in order, and, if conducted tactfully and in the right spirit, may
achieve what legal action may not be able to do.  This is, in my mind,
not too different from one competitor maliciously maligning
another--the first option is to be professional, take them out to
lunch, and discuss it civilly (not threatening to malign them back,
but explaining that they are damaging the integrety of their
profession and, subsequently, pushing customers to explore other
routes.

If a customer has a problem with a WISP not being able to deliver good
service, they often will look for a hard-line replacement, not a
competitive WISP.

Competition is a funny thing, since, there is either an enviroment
where WISPs are viable, or there isn't.  This is true for any type of
business.

I hope this clears this up; again, for the record, I wasn't advocating
"retalitory strike" or even really threatening a retalitory strike,
but simply having a conversation explaining that there is no
"win-lose" situation based on malicious business practices, simply, in
the end, lose-lose.

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies