To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:32 PM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Legal Charges used in Malicious Interference Situations

I would have to disagree with most of this thread. You have two things going against you in this.

1.  A free market economy.
2.  License Free spectrum.

You can no more sue for someone putting up wireless in your "area" than you can if you owned a restaurant and McDonalds moved in next door. This is a critical component of American society, so I doubt that any judge would even allow the suit to ever get in front of a jury. If you can prove they are doing something illegal, like shooting your antennas with a .22 you might have a chance.

License free spectrum means that you are going to get interference. Period. If interference were actionable, then Canopy would be out of business. Let's face it guys, Canopy interferes with most of all other equipment in its spectrum. By now, someone would have sued Canopy both on their equipment and on their marketing. (Who has seen the Wireless Thug pic at the shows. I know I have.)

Your best bet is to prove that they are using unauthorized gear such as amps, etc. and cajole the FCC into investigating.

David Peterson
WirelesGuys Inc.