I echo Mike's contention that Canopy was developed directly for use by
Broadband Wireless Internet Access Service Providers... but not
necessarily the small, highly entrepreneurial Wireless ISPs.

In my discussions with some key Canopy personnel over the years, some
of whom were remarkably candid, some interesting things came out:
* Canopy was originally designed to take advantage of the burgeoning
demand for Broadband Internet Access in ulta-high-density markets such
as China. For a variety of reasons, that market never actually
materialized, but Motorola (barely) decided to continue Canopy anyway
* Canopy was almost killed several times. One manager "fell on his
sword" and retired prematurely as a result of his forceful, but
successful lobbying to let Canopy emerge as a product
* Motorola was eventually surprised at how well Canopy was received by
the market. For some time Canopy was kept "at arm's length" within
Motorola, which during that time Motorola barely acknowledged that
Canopy was actually a Motorola product. Even after Motorola grudgingly
embraced Canopy as an "official" product, there was at least one very
serious attempt to "shop the Canopy division around" to other BWIA
vendors. I heard this from several vendors who Motorola approached.
* Part of Motorola's reluctance to embrace Canopy is that it
cannibalized some of Motorola's system integration work to build
public safety Broadband Wireless systems - Motorola was horrified when
some public safety agencies actually deployed Canopy systems
themselves (no lucrative systems integration contract)... on the (talk
about unintended consequences) "reputation" that Canopy was a Motorola
product.
* Canopy was designed for very large deployments by those not
necessarily highly skilled in RF issues - hence the one-piece unit. If
a service provider "followed the Canopy deployment instructions
scrupulously, it almost always worked.
*  Motorola KNEW, well in advance, that there would eventually be more
5 GHz spectrum made available in the US - what's now called the 5.4
GHz band, thus spectral efficiency wasn't an overriding criteria in
Canopy's original design.
* Canopy's three design criteria were that it be simple to deploy,
robust and reliable in operation, and cheap to manufacture and sell.
Deep down, Canopy's modulation is (pretty much, kind of) FM, adapted
for Broadband and Digital operation. (Yes, I know this is probably
technically inaccurate and horribly oversimplified, but that's the way
it was described as the genesis of Canopy's modulation scheme - it was
based on the robustness of FM communicaitons, of which Motorola is a
world class expert.
* The 2.4 GHz and 902-928 MHz versions of Canopy were purely an
afterthought, not part of the original plans for Canopy; both were
developed only in response to large deployments who needed the
frequency diversity and the penetration characteristics of 902-928
MHz.

Thanks,

Steve

--

Steve Stroh
Editor / Analyst, Stroh Publications LLC

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **