Come on, you guys that sell "slow" broadband generaly don't have too much to worry about. It's not like if you got an ap that does 10 megs and you sell 50 512k subs that the one or three out of 20 running p2p is going to be very noticable. Try giving those 50 equal access to the full 10 megs and see what happens then, if you don't throttle the p2p.

Travis Johnson wrote:
Hi,

 If your network can't handle a small amount of p2p
traffic, you have bigger issues. :)

Travis
Microserv

George Rogato wrote:
How do you cap the encrypted stuff?

Travis Johnson wrote:
Hi,

First let me say that we cap p2p traffic during the business day, but otherwise we let it run wide open. However, we sell our connections based on speed. Whatever they pay for is what they get... none of this burstable stuff, etc. If they want 512k, they pay for 512k. If they want 1meg, they pay for 1meg.

The problem with bandwidth caps of xx gigs per month is that NOBODY else is doing it... not DSL, not Cable, not any of my wireless competitors, etc. Once you start putting that limitation on their connection, they will start switching to something that does not have caps. If you have bandwidth limits in place already, there is no need for the monthly limits. (This does not mean we allow 24x7 bandwidth usage, but we allow "reasonable" usage).

Travis
Microserv

George Rogato wrote:
I think the way to go is to be able to identify the various types of traffic and rate limit them. And once we can do this, then it's time to pull out the menu of various offerings we can provide. Want a 3 meg x 3 meg burstable connection with a sustained traffic rate of 1meg x 256k and bandwidth cap of x gigs, it's price "a", want a higher something in your package, it's price "b". Want something different, then it's price "c".

The sub can choose. Once they choose they know what they bought.

Mark Nash wrote:
This is a good debate.

What you mention here, George, is something that's been on my mind for the last year or so. As Lingo/Slingbox/Netflix/Vonage/etc/etc/etc make $$$ off
of our connections, where's our cut?  The customer is paying for a
connection, yes, but at what point do we start charging more as this content proliferates through our networks? Bandwidth is getting cheaper per meg, you can get a bigger pipe for less per meg, you can do things to lower the
cost of bandwidth.

However, that should give US a better cash flow model, so we're not so
squeezed out that we feel like not providing service anymore to folks who desperately want it. With more and more apps providing high-throughput content, it could easily offset the savings that can be realized by going
with a bigger/cheaper pipe.  IF IT IS UNCHECKED.

My whole part in this discussion has been focused on not letting our
customers cost us more than they are paying us, and I still say that
deploying a system that allows us to be compensated for heavy usage is a valuable consideration in any business plan for an ISP. Bandwidth shaping, bandwidth caps, bill for overages, dedicated bandwidth option. If you have this in place, you really need not worry about anything else with respect to
high bandwidth usage.

IMHO.

Thanks everyone for listening to my half-rant. I'm going to get something
done now. ;)

Mark Nash
UnwiredOnline.Net
350 Holly Street