-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:22 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Vuze / Comcast / Peer to Peer / FCC

> > What is considered a large number of connections?
> > How many connections is it safe to limit to, without compromising a
user's
> > typical usage.
> > Would this be an effective way of determining when a class of plan is
> being
> > abused, such as a business using a residential plan, or a small
community
> > WISP trying to use a single residential plan conneciton?
> > Is it possible that we need to start charge for "number of connections"
> > instead of just say the number of bytes transfered or speed?
>
> My nephew and I occassionally play BF2142 online.  My Linksys DD-WRT
> based router had a problem.  It had max ports set out 512.  When my PC
> then his polled hundreds of servers to find the best connection it hit
> that limit.  Raising it to 1024 seemed to fix it.
>
> So limiting connections will likely smack gamers as well as p2p users.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Keep in mind that when a gamer opens 1024 connections within a few
seconds,
> he will have a detrimental effect on any wireless network and severe
effect
> on those wireless networks that do not use polling (i.e. 802.11 based
> systems).  So as a network operator, you may still be interested in
limiting
> resource availability for that sort of application.

We run Canopy.  When a gamer does this they usually find a server and
do not have to run another scan for quite some time.  Where p2p does
this crap all day long.  P2p is also a bandwidth hog and we have
limited resources there due to the wireless loop and we deploy in
rural areas where bandwidth is pricey.

Good Point.... The duration of a "scan" would certainly have an effect on
the impact on the network.  If the scan is completed within a few seconds
then the network disruption might go unnoticed.  It sounds like the solution
here would not be to limit the number of simultaneous connections but rather
to limit the number of sustained simultaneous connections.

- Larry