We've been using 8e6 for ages.  It just works.  You don't have to put it
in-line with your traffic or set it as a proxy, so it's not a single
point of failure.  It can sit on a switch "monitor" port and just sniff
all traffic going through that switch.  If it finds something to block,
it will preempt/hijack the reply packet and redirect to a block page.

We are using RADIUS and PPPOE, so we can even set it to only block
certain users, and define their profiles (ie: some may "need" myspace,
others won't).  If you don't use radius, you can have it block by IP.

It's costly to get started, but we've been quite profitable with it.

Only downside is if you have a customer whose traffic doesn't go past
the filtering box you can't filter him.  That's where a software
solution comes in.   I think they have one now that actually talks to
the main filtering box, but we haven't bothered with it.

Randy

rabbtux rabbtux wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm looking into providing a 'family friendly' option to our services.
>  Would like to provide a solution to end customers that requires no
> software, just call us.  I've used Dansguardian before, but it might
> be difficult to mantain a 'one size fits all' proxy for customers.
> Who out there is offering this type of service, and what are the
> simple (and profitable) ways of doing it??
>
> Thanks,
> marshall

Randy Cosby
Vice President