Good points Tom, particularly about the speed test.  I also like the "hints"
button for common trouble shooting suggestions.  Tough to write the text,
and harder to get the user to read it, but might reduce a few trouble calls.

Speaking from our perspective, we are looking for a small and simple
diagnostic tool to help residential and small business users self diagnose
the common problems, and to make it much easier for the level 1 help desk to
work over the phone.  Local Wi-Fi and other local gear are half the calls.
Some per-user customization feature in addition the "global" settings common
to all customers would be REALLY great.

But what is really not all that important is the speed test.  I'm not saying
a speed test is not a valid testing tool in the right situation but we
rarely see problems with a link that can't be seen with a ping test.  Of
course some customers *love* doing speed tests!  That is another reason such
tests cause more problems than they solve.  As you pointed out, designing an
accurate speed test is not trivial.  I'm happy to see Larry has moved the
speed test to a separate tab with a separate start button but I would really
like to see an option to disable and hide the entire speed test tab with a
setting in the .ini file.  As someone else pointed out earlier in this
thread, this testing tool might cause *more* trouble calls, not less, if it
doesn't work correctly, or can't be tailored correctly for the particulars
of a given network.  Maybe Larry can make a second stand alone program for
speed testing later, or the WISP can just host one of several that already
exist and let the user run it from a browser.  I would rather see Larry
focus his limited time on a slick way to push customized settings out to
each user.

About this email address field where test results are sent.  Why is this
even needed?  Results should be sent directly to a dedicated central
address.  Whoever is on duty handling tech calls can get the results as
needed.  This address can be set in the .ini file.  There is no need for the
user to send the results to his buddy or wherever.  The program is branded
and configured for the specific WISP and that network.  No reason to have
another setting for the user to mess up.  Besides, emailing the results is
fine for now but email is far from trouble free.  Rarely do network problems
prevent email from working but users break their own email clients all the
time.  Eventually it would be best if the results are written to a web
server, or sent by ftp or maybe someday sent over a unique port directly to
a specialized companion program Larry writes for a server at the NOC (rel 2
Larry ;).

Thanks for your work on this Larry.  It is looking very nice.  We are
excited to see it finished.

PC
Blaze Broadband