Tom,

I think we need to keep in mind this is a tool designed for "residential" users... we would never ask the IT Director at a business that has a 20Mbps fiber connection to download this tool to "test your connectivity" or "test your speed". LOL

The whole idea was to create a simple, easy to download (single EXE with no installation required) tool that our 1st level support techs could use to help customers.

Also, we have a Speedtest.net server at our location. It provides VERY accurate results from a web page (at least up to 15Mbps). There are ways to make it happen, but again, we are getting away from the initial idea of the program.

Travis
Microserv

Tom DeReggi wrote:
If its being used as a speed test, its important that it is capable of
giving an accurate speed test.
Its better to have no speed test than to have one that makes our network
look bad.
Matt, made some good points about web apps not being fast enough to do
accurate speed tests.

We wrote a tool that used icmp to do speed tests. but the the problem with
that was that many of our routers were set to limit number of Ping packets
for DOS protection.
So although wecould use it, it was not good for our end users.

Its critical to have both a TCP and Non-TCP test. They tell two completely
different things.  UDP tests tell whether your network has the capacity to
pass the speed tested.
TCP tests factor in the end user's experience considering windows size,
packet loss, distance, etc.

Its also important to consider what level customers this tool will be used
for.  1, 2,5,10,100 mbps customers.  And its relevent how large an ISP's
network is, to know what the distance will be.
So correct windows size can be chosen that would allow full speed.  If an
ISP sells 50 mbps circuit, poor results might be redendered of hte speed
test was designed for 1mbps customers.

So it might be good to have a statement of what speed range the speed tool
is capable of testing up to.

It also might be good to have a "help" or "more info" button, that will gie
a few paragrahs about interpretting speed results, and reasons why it might
be slow.

On the speed test, disclose where that is getting tested to.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband