On 13 Jun 2008, at 04:28, Larry Yunker wrote:
>> It also means the program doesn't work with no Windows computers,
>> which are increasingly gaining market share.
>
> True... I don't have a Mac, so I can't building for that market.
> While I could and probably will build something for Linux
> eventually, it
> seems irrelevant.  If your client has Linux, they probably know
> enough about
> routing so that this software is unnecessary.

I've been watching this thread as the concept of a local Internet
diagnostic is a compact form of a more generalised network monitor
that I've been mulling over as a MacOS project.

Judging by the response, there is at least some need for an ISP client
tool with a simple, clear operation giving a Go/NoGo result in layman's
terms.

What interests me a bit more would be linking to a web service backend
for ISP config and to aggregate client reports into an ISP admin
interface,
but that could come later.

>> Or if that's not possible, does anyone have any suggestions as to
>> other
>> visual languages which DO NOT USE .NET and which might be used for
>> future
>> ports of this application.
>>
>> Java.
>
> But JAVA requires that a Java VM be installed on the PC.  The point
> is to
> avoid having to install a separate "Framework".  Ideally, I'd like a
> linker
> that would just compile in those components within .NET that I rely
> upon.

TBH, I think each platform needs a native app. I use Macs and the
few Java, cross-platform applications I use (in lieu of a native Mac
program, e.g. Mindmapping, MIB browser, mySQL browser, etc) are all
poor in terms of look'n'feel, performance and native Mac interface
gestures.

Plus, the whole point of the diagnostic tool would be to provide the
very best problem-solving advice on each platform so TCP/IP config,
firewall settings, perhaps even uPnP would not be generic.

The packaging of the application has to meet Mac user's expectations:
single file (app bundle) with a nice icon, downloaded in a .dmg file
that is dragged to the Applications folder. No installers; admin
privileges not required.

IMHO, you need a native Mac app, but I'd like to hear your reactions.

--
Nigel Bruin.